Friday, July 10, 2009

What is "OSB"?

People interested in the advancement of St. Louis need to keep up on the terminology.

St. Louis has lots of acronym named organizations, but lately I've read about one involved in the NorthSide effort that I've never heard of before. It's called "OSB" and it sounds like it has something to do with property maintenance.

Can anyone explain what "OSB" stands for and what it does? Is it a public or private entity? A division of the City of St. Louis or McEagle affiliate? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!


  1. Yes, oriented stand board. That is the preferred board-up material for McEagle, Urban Assets LLC and other owners of vacant buildings.

  2. I'm reading it online and it's called "oriented STRAND board". It's a form of particle board, with bigger hunks of wood, orienting the strands into dimensional pieces, shaped like plywood.

    How ironic is that? The newest term to get identified with NorthSide is all about boarding up vacant buildings.

  3. GG in St Louis PlaceJuly 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM

    Hmmm, I've got some ideas... Operation Substandard Boardup? Order of Sycophantic Bloggers? Organization of Sneaky Bastards who buy up property, evict the community and let the housing stock rot?

  4. Sycophantic bloggers can't help Paul McKee.